When you unplug your Fire stick, it will shut down completely. After shutting down your TV, your Fire Stick goes to sleeping mode after 20 minutes. Unplugging it won’t damage your device; it will solve any minor issue that you are facing.
Your TV and Fire Stick are entirely two different devices. If you turn your TV off, Fire Stick goes sleeping after 20 minutes of inactivity but will not completely shut down.
To shut your Fire Stick down, you have to unplug it from the power source. Only then it’d shut down completely. Unplugging your Fire Stick device is not a bad thing. It won’t harm it in any way. In fact, it will fix minor issues that you might have been facing.
Will my Fire Stick reset if I unplug it?
No, your Fire Stick will not reset if you unplug it from a power source. It will simply shut down. When you turn it on back, you will have all your settings back in place. Your Fire Stick settings are on your online account. So, they won’t go away if you unplug your device.
Unplugging it will quietly fix some minor issues that your device is facing on your device. So, you should unplug the device once in a while to make some problems go away. It will keep your Fire Stick in a crisp condition and out of danger.
But if you want to reset your fire stick device to the factory settings, there is a way to do it. Unplugging from a power source won’t do it. You can manually reset all your settings to factory condition from your device.
How do I reset My Fire Stick?
Your Fire Stick won’t reset on its own if you unplug your device. You have to do it manually. There is a Reset option on your device’s settings. You have to follow some procedures to reset it to factory settings.
Here’s the process to reset your Fire Stick device:
- At first, turn your Fire Stick and go to Fire TV Home.
- Then, click on the Settings icon to open its menu.
- Now, select My Fire TV from the menu and click on it. If you have an old version of Fire Stick, the option will appear as System or Device.
- Now navigate down to Reset to Factory Defaults and hit the button.
- Next, hit the Reset button. Fire stick will notify you that your device is about to reset the system to factory defaults. Wait until the whole process finishes.
- When Reset is complete, your fire stick will restart. Now it is like a new device. You will have to put all the settings in place you did the first time you set up your Fire Stick. Then your fire stick will optimize its storage and applications to make it ready for use.
- Finally, your device will restart again. Now it is fully ready to play your favorite channels or shows.
Remember, resetting your Fire Stick device will lose all your personal data and downloaded content from the device. Make sure; you do not unplug your fire stick from its power supply while the reset process is going on. Otherwise, you might have to perform the whole process over again. Watch this video to see the process yourself.
How do I reset My Fire Stick Using a Remote?
You can use your Fire Stick remote to reset your Fire Stick device without going to its Settings. Your remote can directly reset your fire Stick. Here is how you are going to do it:
- Firstly, turn your Fire Stick on and take your remote in your hand.
- Then press and hold its Back button and Right Navigation button- at the same time for at least 10 seconds. Use both your hands to hold and press both the buttons simultaneously.
- A reset message will pop up; click on it.
- Next, you wait for your device to reset its settings and systems to factory defaults.
- Now your device will restart and, you have to set your device again like a new one.
- Then all of your device apps and storage are optimized for use.
- Finally, it will restart again and, this time whole reset process completes.
Note that all your previous settings and downloaded data will be gone. Do not unplug your device while resetting. It will shut your device down and, you will have to start again from the beginning. Click this video to see how you can reset your fire stick with your remote.
Is it bad to unplug Fire Stick?
It is not terrible to unplug your Fire Stick from a power source. It will not particularly harm your Fire Stick in any way. On the contrary, it can be beneficial sometimes. By unplugging your Fire Stick, you completely shut down the device. It can fix minor issues.
However, nothing too much is good. By unplugging too much, you might damage the power socket or the pin of your fire stick device. It uses an HDMI cable to connect with a TV. Unplugging it too often can damage its HDMI port too.
The main idea of unplugging your Fire Stick device is to shut it down. But you do not have to do it every time you want to shut it down. Unless you want to restart it, turn your TV off. Your Fire Stick will shut down automatically after 20 minutes.
You can put your device into sleep in following ways:
Shutting Down from Home Menu
It is one of the easiest ways to shut your device down. Follow these steps to put down your fire stick on sleep from Home menu:
- Firstly, turn on your Fire stick device.
- Then, take your remote and press & hold down Home button on your remote for as long as 5 seconds.
- A new window will pop up with some options.
- Hit the Sleep button from there.
When your screen turns black, you will know your device has gone to sleep. Click on any button from your remote to wake it up again.
Shutting Down from Setting Menu
Fire stick settings menu also allows you to put your fire stick on sleep. Here is how you will do it:
- At first, go to Fire Stick Home.
- Hit Settings button from the Menu bar.
- Then select My Fire TV from a new pop-up window.
- Next, navigate down to Sleep button and click on it.
Your Fire Stick device will go to sleep now. Pressing any button from your remote will wake up your device.
Does a Fire Stick need to stay plugged in?
You must plug in your fire stick to a power source to run it. No need for me to say without power, it will not run. So, you have to keep your fire stick plugged in while you play it.
Do not unplug your device unless you are planning to restart it or; you want to use the power socket for another reason. However, do not use your TV USB port instead of a power adapter to power up your fire stick. It might damage your device.
I hope now you know what happens when you unplug your Fire Stick- which is nothing. Now you also know- how you can shut it down in an easy way.