Making your basic LED light strips into SMART ones is not that easy in the early days. To do that you may need considerable electronic knowledge.
Alternatively, the easy way is to find a led strip lights alexa compatible, something like this one, to control it via Alexa.
However, I have a small tutorial that may help you to make your regular LED strips into smart ones (not just turn ON and OFF but to change colors and brightness using your voice).
Ultimately, you can control your LED strips using your Alexa or Google Home.
Okay, let’s see what kind of components we may need for this project.
Required Component List for making LED strips SMART
- Typical LED Strips (link to Amazon) – You can select any kind of brand until they have 4 pin configuration (Red, Green, Blue, Common(black)).
- Male Connector (link to Amazon) – There are just standard pin connectors.
- A Controller (link to Amazon) – This is our brain. We will use this device to instruct our LED strips.
- 12 V power adaptor (link to Amazon) – We have to use 12 V power adaptor to power our LED strips controller.
- Sealing Tape (link to Amazon) – It’s better to seal off our wire connectors for safety.
Can Alexa Connect To Led Strip Lights
- Tap the menu symbol in the upper-left corner of the Alexa app on the iPhone or Android device to bring up the menu.
- Tap the “Add Device” button.
- Press “Light.”
- Identify the brand of your smart light, and touch it. Then choose the precise model, go to the light’s app and activate the Alexa skill, if requested.
How to connect Alexa to LED strips lights – Step by Step
Step 01 – Take your LED strips and navigate their wire outlet. It should show 4 pins female type socket. In here, you may see respective wires as Red, Green, Blue, and Black. Then, connect 4 pins male connector into the LED strip’s female connector.
Sometimes, you can have LED strips that do not have any socket—just copper wire sockets.
In this case, you need to solder a male pin connector to these copper pads (I hope you have basic soldering skills). Once you have soldered a male connector, you can use it for next steps.
Step 02 – Now, take your controller. It has another female connector with 4 pin configuration. Carefully examine the pin connection and connect your LED strip’s 4 pin male connector into this female connector. Red = Red, Green = Green..etc.
Make sure to seal your connectors properly using a sealing tape.
Step 03 – To connect the power, you can use your 12 power adaptor. Once you have connected your power adaptor, it will make LED strips turn ON with the power.
Step 04 – All right, now you need to install a supporting app on your mobile phone. The link to the app can be found through the QR code in the controller. After installing this app, connect your mobile into the controller’s LED Wi-Fi network.
If you did not see the LED strip’s network, then reset your controller 4 times by turn on and off.
Step 05 – Then, log into the app and click the plus icon. It will redirect you to an option “Direct connect the device control”. Use this to connect your app to your home Wi-Fi network.
Step 06 – When you are finalizing step 05, it will ask you to give a name for your device. You can see this name in your Alexa devices. After this, it is pretty simple to control it via voice commands. You can follow your normal steps to add and control your new device through Alexa or Google Home.
This Youtube video has similar steps that I have mentioned in my article. You can watch this if you want some additional insights.
How to Connect LED Lights to Alexa Echo Dot
- Ensure that your smart bulb is Alexa-compatible before you begin, and then follow the manufacturer’s instructions to install the bulb and give it a name. Smart light bulbs are typically installed by plugging them into an available socket. You may need to consult the instructions if you have a hub other than Alexa.
- Make sure you have the Amazon Alexa app installed on your mobile phone.
- Go to the Devices menu and choose the tab you want to see.
- Select All Devices from the drop-down menu. If any suitable devices are found, Alexa will provide a list of them.
- Find the brilliant light you wish to connect by scrolling down. During the initial setup, it will show up like a bulb symbol with the name that you have given to the device.
- Activate the bright light by tapping its icon.
Best Alexa Led Light Strip
As one of the leading manufacturers of strip lights, Gove has continually provided lighting technology that is inventive and long lasting. There has never been more impressive durability and ingenuity than the 65.6 ft RGB LED Strip Lights.
These LED strip lights give full and vivid illumination with only two rolls. Professional-grade lamp bead technology developed by Govee provides a fantastic colour palette and customizability options.
These strip lights from Gove have both a strong and a gentle light output, and they are compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing you to use voice commands to turn on and off the lights and change their brightness and colour. You may also synchronize your lights to your music with the built-in, high-sensitivity microphone.
In contrast to other smart LED strips, which typically show just one colour at a time, Gove’s innovative RGBIC Pro strip enables several colours to be displayed simultaneously.
The RGBIC Pro strips, on the other hand, cannot be cut like conventional RGB strips. They can be chopped to the exact size, and the price increase is not nearly worth one additional function. We suggest the earlier type.
- A kaleidoscope of brilliant, multicoloured lights and dazzling segmented patterns.
- Compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon’s Alexa
The best option is to use Hitlights’ Waterproof Warm White LED Light Strips in a project where water or moisture is a concern. These LED strips are IP-67 waterproof and include 3528 LEDs of exceptional quality, resulting in an even and uniform light output.
Because of its IP certification, these Highlights strips can withstand being submerged in water up to three feet without losing their brightness. A lot of water exposure is no problem for this LED strip. Most other “waterproof” strip lights don’t even come close to this level of certification. Install these lights anywhere you choose, worry-free.
They are built to last. These strips don’t have any built-in intelligence or RGB colour support. Single-colour strip here. The waterproofing will be compromised if you cut the strip. Thus the region must be resealed. On the other hand, warm white LED light strips are unbeatable as far as waterproof LED strips are concerned.
- Smooth, bright 3528 LED lights
- Can be cut to size
- There is no choice for coloured light.
The Cozylady Alexa may become your new favourite innovative home component, especially if you’re an Amazon Alexa user. Voice commands allow you to manage anything from turning on and off lights to altering the brightness and switching between different light settings. If you have a smartphone or tablet, you may also use the Happy Lighting app to achieve this.
Previous reviews have complained about the Cozylady strips’ adhesive strength, but the firm claims to have replaced it with an adhesive that becomes thicker and stronger with time. You can receive a new adhesive unit if you get a faulty one from Cozylady, which promises to send you more tape.
The Cozylady strips, on the other hand, may only be cut at widely separated intervals, which makes perfect placement a bit more challenging. Users have also reported that a direct connection with the transmitter on the light strip is required to operate the lights using the provided remote. Keeping the receiver concealed is difficult if you’re using cheap strip lights since this is frequent.
In any case, Cozylady’s LED strip lights are a great option if you want to manage your lighting with just an Amazon device, thanks to the Alexa connection.
- Ideal for use in children’s rooms
- Remote requires line-of-site
How To Connect Apollo Led Lights To Alexa
Connecting Apollo Led Lights to Alexa is the only way to get them to operate.
You will need an Alexa-compatible smart plug if you’re using regular lights. To get your smart plug up and running:
- Follow the instructions that come with it.
- Use the Alexa app to link the charging cable to your voice assistant.
- Connect your strip lights to the smart plug, and you’re ready to go.
The smart plug is linked to Alexa, not your lights. The smart plug, which regulates your lights, will be under your control.
It’s as simple as plugging Apollo Led Lights into a power socket. Set up the lights according to the included instructions. The next step is to register your bright lights in the Alexa app as a new device and then couple them. Connect the lights using the app’s instructions.
How To Connect Keep Smile Led Lights To Alexa
You should see these lights in action. In addition to the 20 colours, there are also a variety of modes. Some settings vary slowly, quickly, and even dynamically depending on the song’s tempo, you’re playing! The deeper shades of red, purple, and blue appeal to me because they evoke an evocative mood.
Go to your device’s App Store or Google Play Store and search for the Alexa app.
Select All Devices from the Devices menu. Then select the Devices tab. To connect, press the Lights button if you see it.
Find the light you wish to connect by scrolling down the list. Just press the light’s name in the search bar to turn on the light.
How To Connect Happy Lighting To Alexa
- Go to your device’s App Store or Google Play Store and search for the Alexa app.
- Select All Devices from the Devices menu. Then select the Devices tab.
- Find the bulb you wish to connect by scrolling down the list.
- Log in to your Alexa account.
- Make use of the addition + symbol to add a new group.