Setting up your smart plug with Alexa is not that hard to do. Actually, there is a lot of useful information available out there.
However, due to several smart plug manufactures, the connecting procedure can be different from brand to brand. Some smart plugs can pair with Amazon Alexa right away, and several others need few extra steps to follow.
Hence, in this article, we are going to cover the process of setup a smart plug with Alexa for few famous Alexa compatible brands.
- General guidelines to follow
- How to setup Amazon smart plug with Alexa
- How to setup TP Link smart plug with Alexa
- How to setup Wemo smart plug with Alexa
- How to setup other type smart plugs with Alexa
- Alexa cannot find your smart plug?
General guidelines to follow
Generally, you can connect compatible smart plugs to Alexa in two different ways. That is using Guided Discovery or smart Home Skills.
Before going into the connecting process, make sure to follow the steps mention below.
- Check whether your smart plug is compatible with Alexa. If you are interested, here we have explained our recommended smart plugs that were consistent with Alexa.
- Complete the initial setup for your smart plug using the manufacture’s companion app or their website.
- Make sure to connect your smart plug to the Wi-Fi network, which is connected to your Alexa Echo devices.
How to setup Amazon smart plug with Alexa
Open your Alexa app on the mobile. Whether you are using iOS or Android, the steps will be mostly the same.
- Click the “Add Device” option from the main menu.
- Then, the app will ask the type of your device. In this case, it will be “Plug.”
- Now you have to select the brand for your smart plug.
- The app will ask a few things to get permissions, such as the ability to access smartphone resources and location info.
- You need to accept Amazon’s conditions of use too.
- Then you can go to the next step to pair the plug with Alexa.
How to setup TP Link smart plug with Alexa
To setup TP-Link smart plug, first, you need to have a TP-Link account. After that, you have to download the Kasa App and sign in to it using your TP-Link account credentials.
Before you are going to connect the Alexa, you need to set up the device as a Kasa device via the Kasa app. After you have setup the smart plug with Kasa app, you should be able to control it via Kasa app.
Now, you can follow the steps mentioned below to connect your Kasa smart plug to Alexa.
- Open the Alexa App and click on “Home” icon in bottom right corner.
- Then click the “+” icon in the upper right corner and select “Add Device” as usual way.
- Select your brand type. “Kasa Smart” then click continue
- Now you have to enable it. This step can be done by pressing the “Enable to use” option. Then the app will ask the credentials to connect your Alexa app to TP-Link account. Here, you have to provide your TP-Link login username and password correctly. Once you have successfully finished this part, app will notify you with a message saying “TP-LINK Kasa has been successfully linked”
- Click the “Discover Devices” to scan the available devices. You can use “Alexa, discover devices” voice command too.
- Now, select “Set up devices”. In here you can choose a group for your Kasa devices. Also, you can skip this step if you want.
- Finally, pressing “Done” option, you can finish the setup procedure.
Note: If you change your device name after setting up it, you have to rediscover the smart plug to properly update it with Alexa.
How to setup Wemo smart plug with Alexa
Similar to TP-Link smart plug, you need to use Wemo app to connect their smart plug into the Alexa.
- At first, connect your wemo smart plug into the main power supply to turn it on (The typical first step for all the device).
- Now, you have to install the wemo app into your mobile and open it for further steps.
- When you open the wemo app, it will ask you to select the type of device you are going to connect.
- Reminder: You have to connect to the same Wi-Fi network to work things fine.
- In the wemo app, you can give a unique name for your smart plug.
- Then the smart plug will be available in the devices tab of the wemo app. To check the connectivity, you can turn it on/off through the wemo app.
- Now, let’s go to the connection process with Alexa.
- In the wemo app, select the “More” tab. In there, select the “connect to Alexa” option.
- Now, press the “Open Alexa” option. If you have pre-installed the Alexa app on the smartphone, this will automatically open it for further steps. Otherwise, this will take you the app store to install it.
- In the Alexa app, Enable the WeMo skill by searching (type wemo) for the skill using Alexa app.
- As usually, you have to authorize the connection and proceed.
- If you find troubles with finding your device from Alexa, then turn on or off your wemo smart plug. This will helps Alexa to detect the device. Further, you have to confirm that you’re turn on/off your smart plug in the Alexa app.
- Once everything is done, your device will be available on the smart home device list in the Alexa App.
- Now you can control it via voice or Alexa app.
How to setup other type smart plugs with Alexa
Usually, all the compatible smart plugs will connect to Alexa either through Guided Discovery or as a Skill. You can easily follow the steps mention here to connect any other brand.
Using Guided Discovery to connect a smart plug to Alexa
Turn on your Alexa app and follow the steps
- Select the Add Device option from the menu.
- Now you can select the type of your smart home device. In this case, it’s a plug.
- Select your smart plug brand from the list, and you can follow on-screen instructions to finish the connection procedure.
Using Skill to connect a smart plug to Alexa
Turn on your Alexa app and follow the steps
- Select the Skills option from the menu.
- Now, find the skill for your device and make it Enable to activate. Thenafter follow the onscreen instructions to finish the connection procedure.
- Once you have activated the skill, you can ask Alexa to discover your smart plug by saying “Discover my devices”
- You can use “Add Device” option from the Device menu in Alexa app too.
Alexa cannot find your smart plug?
If your smart plug still not recognized by Alexa, then you can try a few things to narrow down the problem. Most of the type it can be a tiny mistake.
- Make sure your smart plug is compatible with Alexa.
- Check for power problems. Does the device have proper power?
- Delete and reinstall the Alexa skill. Sign in again. Make sure to enter the correct user name and password for all logins.
- Check your mobile device whether Alexa and smart plug are all connected to the same Wi-Fi network
- Do a hardware reset while turning off the Alexa. The hardware reset process can be found in the smart plug manufacture web site.
Want to know how smart plugs work? Then read this article