The Amazon Firestick has become an increasingly popular streaming device, offering a wide range of content right at your fingertips.
One vital factor that affects your streaming experience is the distance between your Firestick and your router. It can directly impact the Wi-Fi signal strength and, ultimately, the quality of your streaming experience.
In my article, I will state the optimal distance between your Firestick and router, methods to boost your Firestick Wi-Fi signal, and how to resolve issues such as the ‘network not in range’ error.
By understanding these aspects, you can ensure seamless and uninterrupted streaming with your Amazon Firestick.
How far should Firestick be from the router?
The ideal distance between your Amazon Firestick and your Wi-Fi router depends on various factors such as your router’s power, the layout of your home, and possible interference from other devices.
Although there isn’t a specific study or university research that provides an exact distance, it is generally recommended to keep the Firestick within 30 feet (9 meters) of the router for optimal performance.
However, this distance may vary based on the individual setup and environment.
To maintain a strong Wi-Fi signal and reduce latency or buffering, consider the following factors:
- Router strength: Higher-end routers with better range and more advanced features can maintain a strong signal over a greater distance compared to basic routers.
- Physical barriers: Walls, furniture, and other obstructions can weaken the Wi-Fi signal, so it’s crucial to minimize these barriers between the Firestick and the router.
- Interference: Electronic devices such as microwaves, cordless phones, and other Wi-Fi-enabled devices can cause interference with your Wi-Fi signal. Keeping your Firestick and router away from these devices can help maintain a strong connection.
In summary, while there is no definitive distance that applies to all situations, keeping your Amazon Firestick within 30 feet of your router is a good starting point.
How can I boost my FireStick Wi-Fi signal?
Several factors might affect your Wi-Fi signal. Your FireStick streaming experience can become annoying as a result of it. Wireless internet is a new technology and, it’s improving every day. But it has some limitations due to the way they work.
Your Wi-Fi router uses radio frequency transmission as many other digital devices do. So, there is some obstacle that can affect it. Interference from other devices, weak signals from old routers, technical glitches, power deficit, etc. can seriously affect your Wi-Fi signal.
Fortunately, there are some steps you can take to boost your FireStick Wi-Fi signal. They are:
- Move Router to a Central Position: You should move your Wi-Fi router to the center of your home if you get a weak signal in your FireStick. If possible, bring it near your FireStick. But do not keep them too close.
- Switch Your Router Channel: If you live in an apartment or a dense neighborhood, you can have disturbances from your neighbor’s Wi-Fi router. In that case, change your router channel. Thus it will operate on a different frequency band. Check your router manual to do it.
- Check Devices that Might Cause Interference: Some devices in your home use radio frequencies and interfere with your router; it will weaken your router signal. Microwaves, Wireless cameras, External Monitors, wireless speakers, satellite TV receivers, etc. are some of these devices.
- Minimize Devices: If multiple devices and applications use your bandwidth simultaneously- your internet might get slow down- resulting in weak signal strength. So, make sure. You do not use a lot of devices and applications together. Turn off any device that you are not using.
- Use Wi-Fi Signal Booster: You can buy and use Wi-Fi signal boosters to boost your FireStick Wi-Fi signal. A lot of signal boosters and repeaters are available in stores. Buy one and place it near your FireStick.
What should be the maximum distance between the TV and the router?
Distance between your TV and Router matters. It determines how much internet speed your TV or Firestick will receive. Generally, modern routers can cover as far as 150 feet in any direction from their location. So, keep your TV and Wi-Fi router within this distance.
But do not keep them too close. It can hamper your router signal. It is wise to keep at least 30 feet away from one another for better results.
Firestick signal strength levels
You can check your Wi-Fi signal strength level from your Firestick. Here’s how you can check it:
- Firstly, go to Firestick Settings from Home menu.
- Then click on Network option.
- Finally, select your Wi-Fi network and, you will see the signal level in the right column.
By checking the signal level- you can determine whether your firestick is receiving enough bandwidth.
Why is my Firestick saying the network is not in range?
Digital devices have modernized our entertainment industry. Now technology decides how we consume entertainment. Amazon Firestick is one such device; it changes your boring regular TV into a smart one. This small device is affordable and available to mass people.
But like many other digital devices, it is not error-free. You will face some technical glitches here too. ‘Network not in range’ is one of them. Many people have reported facing this problem despite having a stable internet connection.
Luckily it is one of the easiest- issues that you can troubleshoot at home. Amazon Firestick is a very high-quality device compared to many others. But digital devices will inevitably go wrong at some point in time. Firestick is by no means different from that.
How do I solve the ‘network not in range’ issue?
Amazon Firestick users have pointed out some issues over the years. ‘Network not it range’ is the most common among them. But the good thing is, you can troubleshoot this issue at home. You can solve it with three easy steps. They are:
By Changing Security Protocol
Amazon Firestick is a high-quality device, but not the smartest one. You might get surprised, but this device is inferior to your smartphone or laptop. It does not use the same Wi-Fi security protocol as other devices do. Firestick only uses WEP, WPA-PSK, and WPA1-PSK protocols. So, you have to change other protocols manually.
You can do it in the following steps:
- First, open your Firestick login page.
- Then connect your Wi-Fi router to an IP address.
- Next, go to the Settings option.
- Navigate to Advanced Settings and tap on Wireless Settings.
- Finally, change the encryption to either WEP, WPA-PSK, or WPA1-PSK. It will bring back your firestick within range.
Disabling Smart Connect option
As I already said, your Firestick is not- a smart device. Most routers have a Smart Connect feature that helps nearby devices connect with them. But the problem is, firestick is not that smart. It cannot connect- to your Wi-Fi router when this option is on. You must switch off this feature.
Follow these steps to turn Smart Connection settings off:
- Firstly, connect to your Wi-Fi and type your router IP address into the browser.
- Then log in to your Wi-Fi router from the login page.
- Now go to router Settings and search for Wireless Settings
- Select the Smart Connect option and disable it.
- Finally, restart your router to complete the change.
By General Troubleshooting
In some cases, you can solve this problem with general troubleshooting. Restarting your firestick can be your first step. You will be surprised to see how a simple restart can solve many issues and optimize your device’s performance. So, restart your Firestick before considering it as a faulty device.
In conclusion, the optimal distance between your Amazon Firestick and router can greatly impact your streaming experience. While keeping your Firestick within 30 feet of the router is a general guideline, individual factors such as router strength, physical barriers, and interference from other devices must also be taken into account. To ensure a seamless streaming experience, consider boosting your FireStick Wi-Fi signal, understanding signal strength levels, and addressing common issues like the ‘network not in range’ error using the troubleshooting methods provided in this article. By being mindful of these aspects and adjusting your setup accordingly, you can enjoy a high-quality, uninterrupted streaming experience with your Amazon Firestick.