A virtual private network, abbreviated as a VPN, is increasingly needed for internet lovers. Before, VPN was commonly used in big companies to increase data transfer security.
However, today, even homeowners feel the need to browse freely without the fear that someone is snooping on their browsing history. Everyone wants security.
Nonetheless, we can’t overlook the fact that this term looks quite technical, and maybe you are wondering what this buzz is about. Further, you might have that almost everyone now is using a VPN to stream on an LG TV, leaving you at crossroads.
This article is for you. You who are confused about what a VPN is? How to use it, plus if it is all glittery as everyone is trying to paint? Let’s start the business.
What is VPN?
Before anything, let us understand what a vpn is.
A virtual private network (VPN) is a technological concept that extends the private network by masking the user’s IP address, making it possible to establish a protected or encrypted network when using public networks.
Let’s make it simpler!
Take an instance that you are using a public network in the hotel or at school. Several people are connected to this network, and you can’t even tell who they are.
There might probably be a third party who is after invading your privacy and accessing your data among the people using this network. Don’t be shocked! Today, cybercriminals are everywhere.
You already feel unsafe, which is true. But that is where the VPN comes in.
A VPN comes in to create a wall between your internet service provider and you. It hides your IP address and acts as the source of your data. Consequently, it blocks the third party from seeing your browsing activity.
In more technical terms, it creates an encrypted tunnel through which your data is sent to the remote server preventing the cybercriminals from invading your space.
However, your VPN does more than just hide your data.
How does a VPN protect your IP address and privacy?
- Your browsing history
Assume that you have a health condition and want to browse the available treatment options. This information can be assessed and available to online practitioners, and no sooner than later, you will start receiving ads related to your search.
Besides, assume that you want to search for a tutorial on your schoolwork for this one time. Soon, you will start realizing that such videos on the suggested list relate to your schoolwork.
If you do not want that, a VPN might be what you need. It will isolate your browsing activity; hence it will not be manipulated by a third party.
- Ip address
Every device has a unique IP address. If third parties access it, they can easily get all the data you entered when accessing an online resource, including a password to your Netflix account or any other streaming platform.
However, if you use a VPN, it will encrypt all your activities, keeping your search activity and your data, which includes your password.
Probably you have heard about computer viruses that corrupt the software—as a result, stopping the normal functionality of the device.
LG smart use software that gives instructions on what to be done when you send a command using your remote. If this software is exposed to malware, you will have trouble using your device.
Hence, using a VPN will help to protect your LG smart TV.
In addition to websites, several streaming platforms have location restrictions. That is, they cannot be assessed in particular countries or continents. In other words, if you live in those countries, you can’t watch the restricted content.
However, a VPN allows you to select the IP address of your home country. As a result, you can change the address to a different country to watch restricted content in your country.
In short, a VPN allows you to do your thing secretly without any restrictions.
When to use VPN?
We’ve already looked at what the VPN does, which might have given you a glimpse of when you require it. However, if you love concise and clear details, we got you.
- When watching content whose source is restricted in your country
- When accessing sites that require sensitive information such as bank passwords
- If you don’t like your internet provider adding ads on the matter, you are browsing
- If you want to prevent your LG TV or any other device from malware
- Lastly, you should have a VPN when accessing a public network
Can VPN be used in LG smart TV?
Unfortunately, smart TV runs through webOS, which is not supportable of VPN by default. Thus, you cannot install a VPN app directly on your smart LG TV, as is the case with Android-supported devices.
However, that doesn’t mean that you cannot use a VPN on LG smart TV.
The good news is that you can use smart DNS for webOS to install and use a VPN when streaming your favorite show.
YOU do not have to start scratching your head on how that is possible. We will help you not only choose the best VPN for your device but also with the installation process.
Free VPN for LG smart TV?
Let me not lie to you VPNs can be expensive, not to forget, they may require periodic renewal.
Consequently, I have tirelessly searched for the best available Virtual private networks and those that will not break your bank. Even better, some of these networks have a grace period where you can enjoy their services at no cost.
- ExpressVPN– this VPN prides itself on the fastest streaming speed with the capability to unblock almost every streaming platform.
- NordVPN is commonly used in LG devices due to its excellent privacy and security features. Nonetheless, it is quite powerful and unblocks loads of content.
- Surfshark- however, if you are quite mindful of the cost, this would be the best option. Unlike other VPNs, which only offer free service for some time and later on at unimaginable prices, surfshark VPN is quite affordable in the long run
- privateVPN- This VPN has enhanced unblocking capability and has better encryption features which mean advanced security
- CyberGhost- CyberGhost is optimized to give the best user experience for all LG devices. However, it is slightly slower but quite affordable.
How to use nordVPN with LG TV?
As we earlier said, you cannot install a VPN directly on your LGTV. Thus, you cannot just install a VPN app, as is the case with windows, iOS, Android, and Mac devices.
There are two main ways how you can use nordVPN with LG TV.
First, you can install the nordVPN on the router. However, you need to be warned that not all routers support VPN. For instance, if you are using an ISP modem, setting up the VPN on the router will be impossible.
However, if you are using DD-router, you are good to go.
Let’s now look at how to use NordVPN with LG TV;
- Look at the back of your router to find the router’s IP address. Type in your router’s IP address on the router’s admin page to log in.
- After logging in, move to the admin section
- On the admin section, select ‘firmware upgrade.’
- Now, choose the DD-write file you want to be uploaded to your router
- Wait for the router to complete the updates
After the update is done, you will have successfully set the LG TV ready to install the nordVPN.
Thus, you can head over and download nordVPN on their page. Once the download and installation process is done, you can now safely stream whichever content you want. It is that simple.
How to use ExpressVPN with LG TV?
LG TV users who use ExpressVPN have a good story to tell. This VPN is as fast as lightning, resulting in few or even no buffering. Thus, even when live streaming, it feels like watching any other show due to fewer or no delays.
Keeping that aside it has a wide coverage and can unlock almost every platform.
There are several ways to set up an expressVPN with LG tv. However, we will discuss the simplest setup that even the non-techies can do.
- First, you need to create an account on the expressVPN website. Log in to your account and open the dashboard if you have already.
- On the displayed list, select the router option and click Download Firmware
- Take an Ethernet cable and connect the router to the LG tv
- If your router is configured, you can move to step 6. If not, start the configuring process by selecting manual Configuration.
- Wait for a few seconds for the internet connection to be established before clicking on the login
- After clicking login, you will be directed to a new page. On the sign-in screen, type Admin and click the sign-in button.
- After signing in, click on Connectivity, and you will be asked to select a file. Select ExpressVPN firmware and start the installation process.
- A pop-up will be sent to you that the firmware is not recognized and might force the router to reboot. Click yes
- With that done, you have successfully installed the ExpressVpn. Select Ok and wait for a few seconds for the router to reboot.
- After the reboot process is over, you will be directed to this page. Click on get started and enter your ISP username and password. If you do not have the ISP name, click on ‘MY ISP has no login.’
- Copy the activation code on the dashboard and paste it onto the account code input.
- Configure the Wi-Fi details such as username and password and click continue
- You are almost done. Set up the admin password and click done. That is it.
How to use surfshark with LG TV?
Surfshark VPN is not only the cheapest available VPN but also it has the simplest setup process.
To use this VPN, you must set up the DNS as follows;
log in or create a surfshak account
In your account, click on the DNS feature. On the DNS feature, click activate
After clicking activate, an email will be sent to the email you used to create the account. Follow the instructions on the email to set up your LG T^V with the surfshark VPN.
Due to the increase of cybercriminals and the need for privacy, while browsing, VPN use has become essential.
However, VPN is built for Windows, Android, Mac, and iOS devices. Thus it is not supported by smart TV because it runs on WebOS.
Does that mean you can’t use a VPN on an LG smart TV? Absolutely not.
There are several other ways how you can configure a VPN on smart tv. If you are wondering how to use a VPN on smart LG TV, we have already answered all the questions.
In most cases, this setup is done on the router. Considering that not all routers support VPN, you should first check if your router and the VPN are compatible.