When you plan to move your home to a new location, I know this time is really confusing for you. The reason is since you have a ring doorbell device on your home front door.
Therefore, you can’t decide whether you should take your Ring doorbell device when you move or leave it for the new owner of your existing house.
Anyway, I think it will be a great idea if you leave your connected doorbell device behind since it makes your house more interesting to the new owners. However, you can also take the device with you while moving to a new home.
All right, in this article, I will help you to know what to do with your Ring doorbell device when you plan to move out. If you can take it with you or not, and if so, how you can reset the device for your new location or the new owner.
So, let’s get started with the article without further ado!
Can you take your Ring doorbell device when you move?
Yes, of course, you can take your Ring doorbell device when you move. Here, the most important fact is you are the owner of your Ring doorbell device. And this ownership is usually based on the doorbell device that is existing typically on your Ring account.
So, you can obviously take the device to your new location and use it as well. However, the thing is, if you take this device with you, you need to update your new location and also have to make a new device set up completely in your Ring App.
Yet, leaving some connected devices in your home, such as lighting, Ring doorbells, security cameras, etc., will be a wise decision.
The reason is the presence of these devices will attract buyers, and maybe they will be more interested in buying your house. So, moving to your new home will be easier for you without having any worries.
And, if you decide to leave the devices behind, ensure that you have completely logged out of every device and have done the factory resetting of those left devices.
So, you don’t have any device access permission, and the new owner of your house can sign in to these devices and use them securely.
How do you reset the Ring doorbell device for a new owner?
So, if you decide to transfer your Ring doorbell device ownership to a new owner, you need to follow several steps, including canceling the paid plan, removing the device account, removing other users, and resetting the device.
However, before you delete the ring device from your Ring account, ensure that you have already downloaded the doorbell video footage that you might need later.
All right, now let’s look at the process in detail on how you can reset your Ring doorbell device for a new owner.
- Cancel the paid plan and Ring account payment
To transfer the ownership, you first need to cancel the paid plan such as Ring Protect Plan and cancel your Ring account payment method.
As you are transferring the ownership, if you don’t cancel the payment with Ring, it doesn’t matter if the ownership has changed. Still, you will be responsible for the payment of your Ring account.
To cancel the Ring account payment system, you have to follow these given steps-
- First, you need to go to the Ring website by opening the browser.
- There, you will see the Login option just at the top right side of the Ring website, and you need to press on it.
- Now, enter the details of your Login status and tap your name. It will redirect you to your Ring account.
- Then find the credit card and there you will see an X-symbol, tap on it to cancel the plan and your Ring account payment.
Here, while canceling the paid plan, there is a chance that you will get back your refund if you didn’t use the Ring Plan to save your Ring doorbell videos on the Ring’s Cloud.
- Remove your Ring doorbell device from your Ring account
So, once you have canceled the Ring payment method, now, it’s time to remove your Ring doorbell device from your Ring account. To do so, you have to follow the detailed steps-
- Open the Ring app on your mobile devices.
- You will see the three-line menu just on the upper left side of the app screen; tap on it.
- Then, you need to click on the option –
- Now, select the device that you want to remove or delete from the account.
- Next, you have to tap on the option Device Settings and then click on the General Settings.
- And, finally, just press on- Remove this Device.
- Remove other Ring device users.
Since you are relinquishing the ownership of the Ring doorbell device, those to whom you have given access to this device must be removed. So, they can no longer access the device.
Here’s how you will remove the other Ring device users-
- First, open the Ring app and then go to the Settings
- Now, look for the option-
- Next, click on- Shared Users.
- And, finally, tap on the option- Remove User.
- Reset the Ring doorbell device
And the last step to transfer the Ring ownership to a new owner is resetting your Ring doorbell device. Here’s how you can reset the device-
- Take your Ring doorbell device and then remove its
- Now, tap on the orange button of the device for only 20 seconds.
- Next, release the pressed button.
- And now, you will see a flashing view coming from the front of your doorbell device, which indicates that it is redacting a hard device reset.
- Finally, you need to wait for your Ring device to complete the resetting process.
And, by following the above-mentioned steps, you can easily reset the Ring doorbell device and transfer it to the new owner.
However, if you leave the doorbell device without changing your previous address, the new owner of the device must download the Ring app to create their own Ring account.
Besides, they also have to reinstall the doorbell device on the new Ring account by using the mobile device.
How do you move the Ring doorbell device to a new location?
If you are moving your Ring doorbell device to a new location and you want to set up the device there, you need to change the location of your device that is already existing on your Ring account.
Here, I have provided the detailed steps on how you can change the Ring device to a new location-
- First, open the Ring app and go to the app Dashboard
- There, you will find the three lines just on the upper left side of the Dashboard.
- Now, press on the option-
- Then, you need to select and click on the device you want to set up in another new location.
- Next, press on the options Device Settings and then the General Settings.
- Finally, select and tap on the new location where you want to assign your Ring doorbell device.
How do you reinstall your Ring doorbell device when you move?
When you are moving to a new location taking your Ring doorbell device, there is no need to set up the device with a new address. While reinstalling the device, you need to change the previous address with your new home location.
However, here’s how you can reinstall your Ring doorbell device when you move to a new location-
- First thing first, you need to launch the Ring app on your mobile devices.
- Now, click on the three lines menus just on the upper left side and tap on the Settings.
- On the Settings option, you need to update the previous home address to your new home address.
- Then, press on Continue and confirm the new address.
- Now, tap again on the three lines on the upper left side of the app screen.
- Next, click on the Devices option and select the specific doorbell device that you want to assign.
- Here, ensure that the name of your new Wi-Fi router connection and password are handy enough.
- Then click on the Device Health and tap on the Reconnect option to connect to the Wi-Fi network.
- And finally, you need to check your Ring device’s Motion Settings and Schedules to ensure their customization for your new home location.
Hopefully, by reading this article, you’ve found a good understanding about Can you take your Ring doorbell device when you move. However, if you are confused about this issue, don’t hesitate to leave your question in the comments section.