Technology has done nothing less but a turnaround in how most of the activities were performed. In the most terrific deal, technology has led to the automation of activities, thus reducing the workloads
One of the most significant innovations that have simplified the lives of most individuals is the ecobee homeKit.
Are you wondering what on earth I am talking about? Relax! I got you.
The best part?
I will give clear details on using the ecobee kit and answers to the recently asked question. Happy, now? Get set, we start.
Likely you have heard of a homeKit. If not, let’s get that out of the way first.
What’s a homeKit?
HomeKit is a home automation framework that was developed by Apple. Further, it helps the users to communicate, configure, or operate the smart home appliances. It runs in the macOS, watchOS, tvOS, and iOS operating systems.
The cool thing?
By using a homeKit, the users can program automatic actions or pass the commands by simple voice command.
|Operating systems||Ios, ipadOS, macOS, watchOs, and tvOs|
Now to the key part, what is an ecobee?
First, note that Ecobee is a Canadian company that focuses on manufacturing home automation tools. One of their most fascinating items is the ecobee smart thermostat, commonly referred to as ecobee homekit.
|Item||Ecobee smart thermostart|
|Founders||Stuart Lombard, Mark Malchiondo, John Metselaer|
|Controls||Built-in touchscreen, web portal, apple watch, iOS app, and android app|
Wondering how the two relate? Just a second, I promise to answer that.
So, the ecobee smart thermostat is used to adjust the room temperatures with a simple touch. Sounds too comfy-promising, right?
And here we go:
The ecobee homeKit is the right comfort product that makes it possible to control the room temperatures by simple voice command through Siri.
This is it; the ecobee smart thermostat is integrated with the Apple HomeKit, to allow the setting and adjusting of the room temperatures via the homeKit, which supports Siri.
And more fascinating?
The thermostat has room sensors to detect the current temperature as well as the Alexa voice service. Do you get what that means?
This is the catch; the thermostat will automatically adjust appropriately, as well as listen and better respond to your commands.
That was simple to understand, right? Let’s get a step higher to the technical part.
How do I use ecobee with homeKit?
Do you remember that ecobee and homeKit are different entities? Fantastic, let’s know how to operate them simultaneously.
Being separate entities, the homeKit and ecobee must be integrated first.
Step 1: set the homeKit
The first thing is to have the homeKit app set. On your device, launch the app, then follow the give instructions to get things done.
Step 2: Update
After following the homeKit setup instructions, it is vital to confirm if you have the latest version. If not, update it via Wi-Fi or iTunes.
Step 3: install the ecobee thermostat.
Now with the correct version of homeKit, let’s get things right on the ecobee app before the integration part.
How do you go about that?
Download the ecobee app onto your device first. As it was the case with the homeKit, if you already had the app, ensure that you have the latest version.
With that, now, you can register the app by giving the required details to gain full access.
How do you register the ecobee app?
- On starting the app, is a diagram of the wiring system. If it is correct, you can click yes.
- Confirm if you have any items connected to the HVAC system
- Which temperature do you prefer in your room? Select on the scale and move to next
- By now, the thermostat will be regulating the temperatures accordingly. If you need any physical changes, it is time to configure them.
- Type the custom name for your thermostat
- Move the slider appropriately to set the winter season’s ideal temperatures and summer season in the next slide.
- Set the HVAC system by selecting the current mode
- Set the feature that you need to override the settings, either the smart home or away feature
- Add your residence details, the country, and the closet city in the next slide.
- Add the network settings.
- Finally, set the time and date.
Have you done all that? Congratulations, you are almost done.
Step 4: pairing
Lastly, is to integrate the homeKit and the ecobee thermostat.
For the integration to be successful, you need to get closer to the location of the ecobee.
And now hands-on again, but still be sure of baby-like steps to get things functional. You set?
- start the ecobee app
- go to the menu and click on the setup homeKit
- click on get started. If you have been following this guide from the beginning, you should be taken to a slide that asks about your home location. If not, you will need to enter your name first then move to the home details.
- Is there a message sent on the thermostat? If yes, Good work, you are almost done. Let’s finish on the thermostat;
- using the camera, you can choose to scan the code sent on the thermostat or enter it manually.
And you know what? The ecobee homeKit is paired and functional. That was a long way, but you have finally made it.
You can also check the below video
Siri and ecobee
I have mentioned Siri a lot, and by now, you might be wondering what this is? Siri is a voice-controlled in-built functionality that is available for Apple users.
It is designed to bring human-like interactions with the smart devices by making it possible for the device to “speak” to the user.
Though, a Siri beginner may find it hard to navigate. Luckily here are some of the common Siri ecobee commands and their interpretations;
- “What is my thermostat temperature“- needs to get the current thermostat temperature.
- “set my temperature to 20 degrees“- sets the given temperature
- “What is my thermostat humidity”- gives the current humidity levels.
- “I am leaving”- resets the thermostat from the comfort settings.
How to troubleshoot ecobee and homeKit?
Is your ecobee or home kit failing to respond? Try some of the below hacks to get it functioning.
- Check the ecobee and network settings.
The network problems may be on the ecobee or the mobile device.
On the ecobee;
- Open the home screen and select the menu
- Tap on the about
- Go to the WI-FI settings and check the SSID information.
The SSID information should match the information on the home app.
If that was correct, check on the network on the mobile device.
On the mobile device;
- On the main screen, go to settings
- After, go to Wi-Fi. This is it; the Wi-Fi should show a network name of the device to which is connected. That is the ecobee name.
- Re-connect the ecobee to the homeKit
If you are not willing to entirely unmount the thermostat, you can try only the pairing process.
Go to the menu settings on the thermostat and select the settings. Tap on reset and the disconnect from homeKit
Repeat the pairing process.
- Disconnect and repair the ecobee
Step1: unmount the ecobee from the wall and power it off
Step2: mount the ecobee to the wall, and reboot it
Step3: repair the ecobee to the thermostat and set the room temperatures.
Setting the ecobee homeKit is not a comfortable ride to the beginners. However, it will do you good to refresh on the ecobee homeKit settings, even for the experts.
Still, not every ecobee failure will require a professional. You can try some of the given hacks to set things right.
Also, you can check the below references for more information.
- How to Update Ecobee Firmware: Straight Forward
- How to Remove Ecobee from Wall: Step by Step 2 Minute Guide
- Ecobee Occupied Vs. Unoccupied: Everything Explained
- Can Ecobee Control the Heat Pump?
- Can ecobee control humidifiers?